ISO 22000 specifies requirements for a Food Safety Management System where an organization in the food chain needs to demonstrate its ability to control food safety hazards in order to ensure that food is safe at the time of human consumption.ISO 22000 specifies requirements to enable an organization to plan, implement, operate, maintain and update a food safety management system aimed at providing products that, according to their intended use, are safe for the consumer:
• To demonstrate compliance with applicable statutory and regulatory food safety requirements
• To evaluate and assess customer requirements and demonstrate conformity with those mutually agreed customer requirements that relate to food safety, in order to enhance customer satisfaction,
• To effectively communicate food safety issues to their suppliers, customers and relevant interested parties in the food chain,
• To ensure that the organization conforms to its stated food safety policy,
• To demonstrate such conformity to relevant interested parties, and to seek certification or registration of its Food Safety Management System by an external organization, or make a self-assessment or self-declaration of conformity to ISO 22000.